Faculty, Centre for Health Services and Policy Research
Associate Professor, UBC School of Nursing
Dr. Kryworuchko’s research examines the organization and delivery of health care services to optimize patient and family involvement in health decision making and to improve access to palliative care. She uses an integrated knowledge translation approach to ensure that findings are meaningfully included in policy, system design and care delivery. Current projects focus on how people are positioned differently and how choice is shaped by social, cultural, economic and political contexts; and developing and testing multi-level interventions to improve decision-making and access to palliative care in the last year of life. She has a particular interest in improving care with people who are structurally vulnerable (e.g. people with disabilities, people who are unstably housed, and those with mental health challenges and addictions) since they are most vulnerable to poor engagement in decisions about their care and disproportionately at risk of dying without palliative care in the last year of their lives.
PhD, Nursing, University of Ottawa
Graduate Diploma, Health Services and Policy Research, University of Ottawa
Critical Care Nursing Diploma, Algonquin College, Ottawa
BScN, University of Ottawa
English, French (fluent)
- Shared decision-making (patient and family involvement)
- Autonomy and how choices at the end of life are shaped by social, cultural, economic and political contexts
- Health professional communication and decision-making
- Access to palliative care, and life support care
- End-of-life decisions, and decision making in advanced illness
- Advance Care Planning
- Patient decision aid and implementation
- Evaluation of a Novel Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Video Decision Aid to Promote Shared Decision-Making: A Mixed Methods Study (Kryworuchko NPI; Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Grants in Aid, 2013-2016)
- Mixed Methods Study of the Web-based Life Support Decision Aid (Kryworuchko NPI; Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation Establishment Grant, 2013-2016)
- Mixed Methods feasibility study of group peer support interventions to engage the public in Advance Care Planning (PI Barwich/Kryworuchko/Kazanjian; Submitted, Technology Evaluation in the Elderly Network Catalyst Grant, 2016-2017)
- Evaluation of a context-adapted wiki-based decision aid supporting critically ill patients’ decisions about life-sustaining therapies (PI Archambault/Legare, coI Kryworuchko, Submitted, Technology Evaluation in the Elderly Network Catalyst Grant, 2016-2017)
- Improving decision-making about goals of care during serious illness in later life (iDECIDE) (PI You/Heyland – coI Kryworuchko, Submitted, CIHR Team Grants in Late Life Issues, 2016-2020)
- Vulnerable populations’ access to palliative care and life-sustaining technology: An institutional ethnography (Kryworuchko NPI; developing for CIHR Project Grants, 2016-2019)
Affiliations and Awards
- Research Scientist, BC Centre for Palliative Care (2015-present)
- Adjunct Professor, College of Nursing, University of Saskatchewan (2010-present)
- International Patient Decision Aids Standards (IPDAS), Member, (2011-2016)
- Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses, Member, (2009-2016)
- Canadian Researchers at the End of Life Network (CARENET), (2008-2016)
- BMC Palliative Care, Editorial Board (2011-present)
- Clinical Doctoral Fellow, CARENET Canadian Researchers at End of Life Network (CIHR and Heart and Stroke Canada funded fellowship), Queen’s University, Kingston ON (2008-2010)
- Fellowship, Ontario Training Centre in Health Services and Policy Research, University of Ottawa (2008)
- George Bennett Dissertation Fellowship, Foundation for Informed Medical Decision Making, Boston, Massachusetts (International Research Award) (2008)
- Doctoral Trainee Award, FUTURE Program for Cardiovascular Nurse Scientists, McMaster University (2006)
- Fellowship, Summer Institute in Informed Patient Choice: Interprofessional Shared Decision Making, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire (2008)
- Fellowship, Summer Institute in Informed Patient Choice: Complex Multi-option Multi-attribute Decisions, Cambridge, Massachusetts (2009)
- Fellowship, Summer Institute in Informed Patient Choice: Health Policy and Implementation, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire (2010)
Current Graduate Students
- Maria Maglanque, MSN student, UBC School of Nursing
- Michelle Hyndman, MSN student, UBC School of Nursing
- Cherie Kapell Brown, MN student, University of Saskatchewan
- Stacey Waters, MN student, University of Saskatchewan
- Ann Giroux, MN student, University of Saskatchewan
Currently Recruiting Graduate Students Interested in
- Decision-making in advanced illness
- Advanced care planning
- Decision-making with vulnerable populations
- Palliative care decisions
- Life support and resuscitation decisions
Courses Currently Taught
- NURS 305/342 Critical Inquiry and Research in Nursing Practice
Kryworuchko, J., Strachan, P.H., Nouvet, E., Downar, J., You, J (Revisions submitted Jan 2016). Factors influencing Communication And Decision Making About Life-Sustaining Technology during Serious Illness: A Qualitative Study. BMJ Open.
Clark, A., Wiens, K., Banner, D., Kryworuchko, J. Thirsk, L., Currie, K. (Accepted 25 Dec. 2015). A systematic review of the main mechanisms of heart failure disease management interventions. Heart.
Nouvet, E., Strachan, P.H., Kryworuchko, J., Downar, J., You, J.J. (Accepted Dec. 2015). Waiting for the body to fail: limits to end-of-life communication in Canadian hospitals. Mortality.
Harkness, K., Buck, H.G., Arthur, H.M., Carroll, S.L., Cosman, T., McGillion, M., Kaasalainen, S., Kryworuchko, J., O’Keefe-McCarthy, S., Sherifali, D., Strachan, P.H. (2015). Caregiver Contribution to Heart Failure Self-Care (CACHS). Nursing Open; DOI: 10.1002/nop2.35
You, J., Downar, J., Fowler, R., Lamontagne, F., Ma, I. W. Y., Jayaraman, D., Kryworuchko, J.,… Heyland, D. K. (2015). Barriers to goals of care discussions with seriously ill hospitalized patients and their families: a multi-center survey of healthcare providers. JAMA: Internal Medicine, 175(4), 549-556.
Buck, H.G., Harkness, K., Wion, R., Carroll, S.L., Cosman, T., Kaasalainen, S., Kryworuchko, J., McGillion, M., O’Keefe-McCarthy, S., Sherifali, D., Strachan, P.H., Arthur, H.M. (2015). Caregivers’ Contribution to Heart Failure Self-Care: A Systematic Review. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 14(1), 79-89.
Lipstein, E., Brinkman, W., Fiks, A., Hendrix, K., Kryworuchko J, Miller, V., … Fox, D. (2014). An Emerging Field of Research: Challenges in Pediatric Decision Making. Medical Decision Making, 1-6.
Feenstra, B., Boland, L., Lawson, M., Harrison, D., Kryworuchko J, LeBlanc, M., & Stacey, D. (2014). Interventions to Support Children’s Engagement in Health-Related Decisions: A Systematic Review. BMC Pediatrics, 14(109), 1-11.
Legare, F., Stacey, D., Turcotte, S., Cossi, M. J., Kryworuchko J, Graham, I. D., … Donner-Banzhoff, N. (2014). Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by health care professionals (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, CD006732(9), 1-166.
Boehmer, K., Egginton, J. S., Branda, M. E., Kryworuchko J, Bodde, A., Montori, V. M., & LeBlanc, A. (2014). Missed opportunity? Caregiver participation in the clinical encounter. A videographic analysis. Patient Education and Counseling, 96(3), 302-307.
Coulter, A., Stilwell, D., Kryworuchko J, Dolan Mullen, P., Ng, C. J., & van der Weijden, T. (2013). A Systematic Development Process for Patient Decision Aids. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 13(S2), 1-7.
Stacey, D., Kryworuchko, J., Belkora, J., Davison, J., Durand, M-A., Eden, K. B., … Street Jr., R. L. (2013). Coaching and guidance with patient decision aids: A review of theoretical and empirical evidence. BMC Informatics and Decision Making, 13(S2), 1-32.
Fagerlin, A., Pignone, M., Abhyankar, P., Col, N., Feldman-Stewart, D., Gavaruzzi, T.,Kryworuchko, J., … Witteman, H. O. (2013). Clarifying and Expressing Values: An updated review. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 13(S2), 1-8.
Murray, M. A., Bissonnette, J., Kryworuchko, J., Gifford, W., & Calverley, S. (2013). Whose Choice Is It? Shared Decision Making in Nephrology Care. Seminars in Dialysis, DOI: 10.1111/sdi.12056, 1-20.
Kryworuchko J (2012). Research Review: Advance Directives in an Intensive Care Unit: Experiences and Recommendations of Critical Care Nurses and Physicians. The Canadian Journal of Critical Care Nursing, 23(4), 6-7.
Stacey, D., Kryworuchko, J., Bennett, C., Murray, M. A., Mullen, S., & Legare, F. (2012). Decision coaching to prepare patients for making health decisions: A systematic review of decision coaching in trials of patient decision aids. Medical Decision Making, 32(3), e22-33.
Légaré, F., Turcotte, S., Stacey, D., Ratté, S., Kryworuchko J, & Graham, I. D. (2012). Patients’ perceptions of sharing in decisions: A systematic review of interventions to enhance shared decision making in routine clinical practice. The Patient: Patient-Centered Outcomes Research, 5(1), 1-19.
Kryworuchko J, Stacey, D., Peterson, W. E., Heyland, D. K., & Graham, I. D. (2012). A qualitative study of family involvement in decisions about life support in the intensive care unit. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 29(1), 36-46.
Kryworuchko J, Hill, E., Murray, M. A., Stacey, D., & Fergusson, D. (2012). Systematic Review: Effectiveness of interventions intended to improve the quality of end-of-life decision making in the Intensive Care Unit. Worldviews on Evidence-based Nursing, 4(1), 1-16. DOI: 10.1111/j.1741-6787.2012.00247.x
Lown, B., Kryworuchko J, Bieber, C., Lillie, D., Kelly, C., Berger, B., & Loh, A. (2011). Continuing professional development for interprofessional teams supporting patients in healthcare decision making. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 25(6), 401-408.
Bakitas, M. A., Kryworuchko, J., Matlock, D. D., & Volandes, A. E. (2011). Palliative medicine and decision science: The critical need for a shared agenda to foster informed patient choice in serious illness. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 14(10), 1109-1116.
Légaré, F., Stacey, D., Pouliot, S., Gauvin, F. P., Desroches, S., Kryworuchko J, … Graham, I. D. (2011). Interprofessionalism and shared decision-making in primary care: A stepwise approach towards a new model. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 25(1), 18-25.
Légaré, F., Stacey, D., Gagnon, S., Dunn, S., Pluye, P., Frosch, D., Kryworuchko, J…. Graham, I. D. (2011). Validating a conceptual model for an interprofessional approach to shared decision-making: A mixed methods study. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 17(4), 554-564.Comment: DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2753.2010.01515.x.
Légaré, F., Ratté, S., Stacey, D., Kryworuchko J, Gravel, K., Graham, I. D., & Turcotte, S. (2010). Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by healthcare professionals. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 4(CD006732).
Clark, A. M., Haykowsky, M., Kryworuchko J, MacClure, T., Scott, J., DesMeules, M., … McAlister, F. A. (2010). A meta-analysis of randomized control trials of home-based secondary prevention programs for coronary artery disease. European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation, 17(3), 261-270.
Stacey, D., Légaré, F., Pouliot, S., Kryworuchko J, & Dunn, S. (2010). Shared decision making models to inform an interprofessional perspective on decision making: A theory analysis. Patient Education and Counseling, 80(2), 164–172.
Murray, M. A., Fiset, V., Young, S., & Kryworuchko J (2009). Where the dying live: A systematic review of determinants of place of end-of-life cancer care. Oncology Nurse Forum, 36(1), 69-77.
Kryworuchko J, & Heyland, D. K. (2009). Using family satisfaction data to improve the processes of care in ICU. Intensive Care Medicine, 35(12), 2015-2017.
Kryworuchko J, Stacey, D., Bai, N., & Graham, I. D. (2009). Twelve years of clinical practice guideline development, dissemination and evaluation in Canada (1994 to 2005). Implementation Science, 4(49), 1-11.
Murray, M. A., Wilson, K. G., Kryworuchko J, Stacey, D., & O’Connor, A. M. (2009). Nurses’ perceptions of factors influencing patient decision support for place of care at the end-of-life. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 26(4), 254-263.
Kryworuchko J, Stacey, D., Bennett, C., & Graham, I. D. (2008). Appraisal of the primary outcome measures used in trials of patient decision support. Patient Education and Counseling, 73(3), 497–503.
Légaré, F., Stacey, D., Graham, I. D., Elwyn, G., Pluye, P., Gagnon, M. P., … Kryworuchko, J. Desroches, S. (2008). Advancing theories, models and measurement for an interprofessional approach to shared decision making in primary care: A study protocol. BMC Health Services Research, 8(2), 1-8.
Légaré, F., Ratté, S., Stacey, D., Kryworuchko J, Gravel, K., Turcot, L., & Graham, I. D. (2007). Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by healthcare professionals. (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 3(CD006732).
- Understanding the Options: Planning care for critically ill patients in the Intensive Care Unit. (2009, 2015).
- A Decision Aid to Prepare Patients and their Families For Shared Decision-Making About Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR). (2014).
- Decide Together: Life Support. (2015). Web based patient decision aid.