Associate Faculty, Centre for Health Services and Policy Research
Assistant Professor, UBC School of Nursing
Associate Member, UBC School of Population and Public Health
Dr Rubee Dev is an Assistant Professor in the UBC School of Nursing and Associate Faculty in the UBC Centre for Health Services and Policy Research with a research foci in global health and primary health care nursing. Dr Dev is a principal investigator of the BC Primary Health Care Research Network (BC-PHCRN) and co-director of the BC arm of the Canadian Primary Care Sentinel Surveillance Network (BC-CPCSSN). Her work entails extensive research to identify the data gaps and opportunities for action in meeting the needs of global maternal and child health and improving care delivery in primary health care settings, mainly through collaboration, partnerships, and knowledge translation.
PhD, Nursing Science, University of Washington, USA
MPH, University of Washington, USA
BScN, B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Nepal
- Global health issues
- Improving care delivery in primary health care
- Noncommunicable diseases prevention and management
- Strengthening evidence base for global maternal & child health
Affiliations and Awards
- CIHR-IGH Trainee Travel Award (2022)
- Guangdong Province Postdoctoral Talent Introduction Programme Award from the Guangdong Provincial Department of Human Resources and Social Security (2019)
- Nepal Bidhya Bhusan ‘Ka’ Award (Highest National Academic Award) from the President of Nepal, Government of Nepal (2019)
- The DAISY (Diseases Attacking the Immune SYstem) in Training Award, The DAISY Foundation, School of Nursing, University of Washington (2018)
- Hagyvary Citizens of the World Endowed Fund, Center for Global Health Nursing Travel and Fieldwork Scholarship (2018)
- Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) Nursing Research Award, Psi Chapter-at-Large, Honor Society of Nursing (2018)
- Hester McLaws Dissertation Grant, School of Nursing, University of Washington (2017)
- Global Opportunity (GO) Health Travel Fellowship (2017)
- Philanthropic Educational Organization (PEO) Jean Negus Malmo International Peace Scholarship (2012)
- Fulbright Scholarship (The U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs) (2012)
Current Graduate Students
- Upasana Rosha, MSc Student, School of Nursing
Currently Recruiting Graduate Students Interested In
- Primary health care
- Global health
- Non-communicable diseases
Courses Currently Taught
- NURS 504 Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- NURS 552 Methods in Nursing Science
Dev R, Adams AM, Raparelli V, Norris CM, Pilote L; GOING-FWD Investigators. Sex and Gender Determinants of Vascular Disease in the Global Context. Can J Cardiol. 2022 Dec;38(12):1799-1811. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2022.05.025. Epub 2022 Jun 3. Read more
Gisinger T, Dev R, Kautzky A, Harreiter J, Raparelli V, Kublickiene K, Trinidad Herrero M, Norris CM, Lavoie KL, Pilote L, Kautzky-Willer A. Sex and Gender Impact Mental and Emotional Well-Being During COVID-19 Pandemic: A European Countries Experience. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2022 Nov;31(11):1529-1539. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2022.0115. Read more
Dev R, Favour-Ofili D, Raparelli V, Behlouli H, Azizi Z, Kublickiene K, Kautzky-Willer A, Herrero MT, Pilote L, Norris CM; GOING-FWD Consortium. Sex and Gender Influence on Cardiovascular Health in Sub-Saharan Africa: Findings from Ghana, Gambia, Mali, Guinea, and Botswana. Glob Heart. 2022 Sep 1;17(1):63. doi: 10.5334/gh.1146. eCollection 2022. Read more
Dev R, Raparelli V, Bacon SL, Lavoie KL, Pilote L, Norris CM; iCARE Study Team. Impact of biological sex and gender-related factors on public engagement in protective health behaviours during the COVID-19 pandemic: cross-sectional analyses from a global survey. BMJ Open. 2022 Jun 10;12(6):e059673. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2021-059673. Read more
Dev R, Raparelli V, Pilote L, Azizi Z, Kublickiene K, Kautzky-Willer A, Herrero MT, Norris CM; GOING-FWD Consortium*. Cardiovascular health through a sex and gender lens in six South Asian countries: Findings from the WHO STEPS surveillance. J Glob Health. 2022 Feb 26;12:04020. doi: 10.7189/jogh.12.04020. eCollection 2022. Read more
Dev R, Williams-Nguyen J, Adhikari SP, Dev U, Deo S, Hillan E. Impact of maternal decision-making autonomy and self-reliance in accessing healthcare on childhood diarrhea and acute respiratory tract infections in Nepal. Public Health. 2021;198:89-95.
Dev R, Adhikari SP, Dongol A, Madhup SK, Pradhan P, Shakya S, Shrestha S, Maskey S, Taylor M. Prevalence assessment of sexually transmitted infections among pregnant women visiting an antenatal care center of Nepal: Pilot of the World Health Organization’s standard protocol for conducting STI prevalence surveys among pregnant women. PLOS ONE. 2021;16(4):e0250361.
Dev R, Kohler P, Begnel E, Achwoka D, McGrath CJ, Pintye J, Muthigani W, Singa B, Gondi J, Ng’ang’a L, Langat A, John-Stewart G, Kinuthia J, Drake AL. Contraceptive counseling experiences among women attending HIV Care and Treatment Centers: a national survey in Kenya. Contraception. 2021;104(2):139-146.
Dev R, Li J, Zhang D, Cai Y, Hao C, Hou F, Wang R, Lin M, Xu D. An economic evaluation of a mobile text messaging intervention to improve mental health care in resource-poor communities in China: A cost-effectiveness study. BMC Health Services Research. 2020; 20(1):989.
Dev R, Zaslavsky O, Cochrane BB, Woods NF. Healthy aging through the lens of community-based practitioners: a focus group study. BMC Geriatrics. 2020;20(1):211.
Xu Dong*, Dev R*, Shrestha A, Zhang L, Shrestha A, Shakya P, Hughes JP, Shakya PR, Li J, Liao J, Karmacharya BM. NUrse-led COntinuum of care for people with Diabetes and pre-diabetes in Nepal (NUCOD): study protocol for a cluster randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2020;21(1):442.
Dev R, Kohler P, Feder M, Unger J, Woods NF, Drake AL. A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Postpartum Contraceptive Use, Predictors, and Barriers among Women in Resource-Limited Settings. Reproductive Health. 2019;16(97):1-17.
Dev R, Woods NF, Unger J, Kinuthia J, Matemo D, Farid S, Begnel ER, Kohler P, Drake AL. Acceptability, Feasibility and Utility of a Mobile Health Family Planning Decision-Aid for Postpartum Women in Kenya. Reproductive Health. 2019;16(97):1-11.